The Department of Psychology has, since the beginning of its operation, proposed issues related to the Quality Assurance Policy.
Departmental Quality Assurance Policy for the Undergraduate Programme of Studies (UPS)
The Departmental Quality Assurance Policy has been developed in accordance with the principles of Quality Policies that are relevant to both the UOI and the European Higher Education Sector. The central pillar in the implementation of the Department’s Quality Policy is the “Standards for Quality Accreditation of Undergraduate Programmes” of the Hellenic Authority for Higher Education (HAHE).
It should be noted that the quality assurance policy of the Psychology Department focuses on improving the quality of its educational, research, and administrative work, with a view to promote the quality of studies. It is fully coordinated with the above-mentioned frameworks, promoting principles of equality and respect for diversity and individual rights in an educational context aiming at the formation of active citizens who will contribute to the society of tomorrow.
Within the context of what has been discussed above and with an aim to assure quality in research and education, which is a prerequisite for internationalisation and extroversion through collaborations with institutions of the international academic map and contribution to society, the Department of Psychology maintains the following in an operational and strategic way:
- continuously ensuring the improvement of the quality of the UPS, through associations between research and teaching, so that upon completion of their studies, its graduates have acquired a high level of understanding of (a) the theories and approaches that underpin the science of psychology (b) the methodological and research approaches, and (c) the contemporary scientific debate around theoretical issues and applications that are currently dominating the international scientific discourse.
- the development of the ability for argumentation and critical reflection as well as skills relevant to the discipline they will serve.
the continuous monitoring of the outcome of the Practical Training (internship), ensuring excellent collaboration with appropriate institutions and adequate practitioner and academic supervision. It should be noted that the Internship is enriched with relevant seminars and additional support to ensure high quality training.
The overall aim of the educational process is the provision of knowledge and skills that will ensure students’ acquisition of scientific competencies and their preparation for a successful academic and/or professional career.
The above objectives and Departmental policies, with reference to the policy of the institution, are clearly communicated to both the Departmental staff members and the students in a context of wider discussions. Both administrative and academic staff ensure that the above objectives are adhered to and pursued by implementing procedures and practices that contribute to their fulfilment.
Actions for Quality Assurance
Specifically, in order to ensure the high quality of the UPS, the Psychology Department ensures:
- the introduction of students to the science of psychology, following the international academic-scientific orientation and the development of the science
- a structure and organisation that facilitates learning and continuity in the understanding of individual subjects. To achieve this, annual quality control meetings are held with reference to students’ academic experience (processing of course evaluation data – OMEA committee). These meetings are accompanied by decisions on relevant improvement actions.
- effective, high-quality teaching oriented towards (a) learning outcomes defined by the “European and National Qualifications Framework for Higher Education” and (b) the employment market trends and the professional rights of the Departmental graduates.
- cutting-edge research in the context of the teaching of each course, in line with the international perspective on the crucial importance of the relationship between research and teaching for the quality of students’ learning. The link between research and teaching is ensured in the context of (a) student-centred teaching, which promotes learning and critical thinking and focuses on the alignment of teaching-learning-assessment, and (b) teaching of courses by academic staff with relevant studies, research, and training.
- enrichment of teaching and Practical Training with invited lectures provided by
Greek and international academics and professional psychologists, contributing to the extroversion and internationalization of the UPS. The internationalization and extroversion has been developed in various ways through the involvement of the Department in a number of central activities of the UOI.
- the dissemination of knowledge generated to the community, through supportive actions and synergies with schools, the Regional Directorate of Education, and collaborator institutions that have signed protocols of cooperation with the UOI. These collaborations ensure the availability of students’ internships and showcase the role of the Department within the community.
- the suitability of the qualifications of its teaching, research, and administrative staff to ensure the proper and satisfactory functioning of the UPS in the context of a holistic approach to the development of the Department.
- the provision of substantial support through funding and development of infrastructures related to quality assurance in teaching and research, supporting the further development of the Department and its position within the academic map of the country.
- the necessary means and resources for the implementation of the quality policy and the proper functioning of the UPS.
Cooperation of the Department with the Quality Assurance Unit (MODIP)
The Psychology Department, in accordance with the guidelines and principles of the HAHE, as they are implemented within the UOI and specifically by the MODIP, and in order to monitor the implementation of the above within the Department and to adopt corrective actions,
- announces and discusses within appropriate contexts the Departmental Quality Policy, in a distinct manner for the administrative staff, the teaching staff and the students.
- supports, in cooperation with the Dean’s Office, the above points, in the context of the students’ graduation ceremony, giving the “stamp” of the Department regarding the level of studies provided.
- benefits from the role of the academic advisor – and as far as the Internship is concerned academic supervisor -, in order to provide feedback to the students on the course of their academic development. The information regarding the efficiency of the UPS is taken seriously into consideration in view of the actions needed to develop and improve the UPS.
- follows the institutional procedures on an annual basis, with regards to the internal evaluation of the UPS, in collaboration with the Departmental Internal Evaluation Committee and the Quality Assurance Unit of the UOI, within the framework of the University’s Internal Quality Assurance System.
disseminates the outcomes of MODIP’s internal evaluations to all stakeholders and ensures relevant discussions and proposals for improvement actions.